When you submit material to cIRcle you will be asked to agree to a Non-Exclusive Distribution License that permits cIRcle to:
- make your work openly accessible, and
- copy your work to other formats for preservation purposes
and that states that
- you have the right and authority to grant the license and have obtained copyright clearance for any materials included in your work for which you do not own the copyright (for example, images, tables, etc.).
You do not sign over copyright to cIRcle; rather, you merely grant cIRcle a non-exclusive license to distribute your work online. If you have any questions about copyright, please consult UBC Copyright.
Before materials can be deposited in cIRcle, we require copies of the appropriate license(s). Please fill out a license for new items (articles, reports, presentations, research papers, etc) that you wish to submit. You may list more than one item per license.
There are three options for getting licenses to cIRcle:
- By Email: Use this option if someone is uploading material on your behalf.
- Online Click Through License: Use this option if you are uploading your material yourself.
- By campus mail (in print): Use this option if someone is uploading material on your behalf and you don’t wish to use email.
Note: cIRcle is unable to accept digital signatures on distribution licenses.
The following instructions outline the steps for submitting an email license to cIRcle when someone is submitting on your behalf. Note that by sending this email you will have fulfilled your obligations regarding the cIRcle Non-exclusive Distribution License (an actual signature is not required).
- Copy and paste the text in the box below into an email message with the subject line “License for [title of item being submitted]” .
- Use your UBC email address if you have one.
- Be sure to read cIRcle’s Non-Exclusive Distribution License.
- Email the completed message to firstname.lastname@example.org.
|I authorize the deposit of the item(s) listed below into cIRcle.
I have read and agree to cIRcle’s Non-Exclusive Distribution License as presented on: https://circle.ubc.ca/bitstream/handle/2429/33659/cIRcle_Non-exclusive_Distribution_License_Version_1_1.pdf?sequence=1
This license covers the following item(s):
If you upload your own files to cIRcle, you will be asked to accept the online version of the Non-Exclusive Distribution License (a click through agreement). The click-through agreement is part of the upload process. Please note that you need to be authorized by cIRcle staff before you can upload to a collection. If you are authorized and ready to upload, please check out our user guides on how to upload content into cIRcle.
If you have a number of different items for submission at the same time, you may attach a list of those items to your printed license.
- Fill in the requested details on the following form:
Non-Exclusive Distribution License
- Print it out and mail it (with an attached list of titles if necessary) to:
Walter C. Koerner Library
Room 266 – 1958 Main Mall
- Please include your contact information
Distribution License Versions
Version 1.1 (Current)
The current version of the Non-Exclusive Distribution License (‘the License’) (which includes minor amendments to Version 1.0) went into effect on April 14, 2011. Details including the text of the License are available in the cIRcle database:
The original cIRcle License went into effect on June 16, 2008, as Version 1.0. Details including the text of this License are available in the cIRcle database:
The text of the above Version 1.0 license was also previously available at the following URL: