About the cIRcle License
If you are the copyright owner when you submit an item to cIRcle, you retain the copyright to your work. All that is required is that you complete the cIRcle Non-Exclusive Distribution License which permits cIRcle to make your work openly accessible and to preserve it long-term. Please fill out a License for new items (articles, reports, presentations, research papers, etc) that you wish to submit. You may list more than one item per License.
Please read the options for submitting a License below and select the one that applies to you:
I am depositing the work myself
Online Click-Through License
If you upload your own files to cIRcle, you will be asked to accept the online version of the Non-Exclusive Distribution License (a click-through agreement). The click-through agreement is part of the upload process. Please note that your login needs to be authorized by cIRcle staff before you can upload to a cIRcle collection. If your login has been authorized and you are ready to upload, please check out our user guides on how to upload content into cIRcle.
cIRcle or other staff is depositing the work on my behalf
If someone else is uploading your files to cIRcle on your behalf, please submit your License by web form or by campus mail.
By Web Form
If cIRcle or other staff will upload your material on your behalf, please fill out the License web form. (You can list multiple items per form). You will be asked to provide details about your material (eg. title, author, UBC or Non-UBC Affiliation), and you are expected to read and agree to the terms of the License. You will receive a copy of the License in your email. cIRcle staff will also receive an automated email message and will contact you if they have any questions.
By Campus Mail (in print)
You may also use a printed License, to which you may attach a list of multiple titles.
Fill in the requested details on the following form: Non-Exclusive Distribution License
Print it out and mail it or email a scanned copy (with an attached list of titles if necessary) to:
- cIRcle Coordinator
- Walter C. Koerner Library
- Room 266 - 1958 Main Mall
- Vancouver, BC
- V6T 1Z2
Please include your contact information.
Scanned copies of printed Licenses should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Distribution License Versions
Version 2.0 (effective March 7, 2014)
Version 2.0 of the cIRcle Non-Exclusive Distribution License (‘the License’) went into effect on Friday March 7, 2014. This License applies to all materials submitted to cIRcle as of March 7, 2014, 5:00 p.m. PST. The License is not retrospective, i.e. it does not apply to materials submitted to cIRcle prior to that date/time.
Please find below a description of the changes to the License:
- As before, copyright holders retain their copyright under Version 2.0 of the License. The text of the new License is available here: http://hdl.handle.net/2429/46029;
- Version 2.0 of the License contains two important changes (over the previous Version 1.1):
- The License is applicable to theses and dissertations as well as to all non-thesis work in cIRcle. (Up until March 7, 2014, there is a separate license for theses and dissertations).
- The License provides for re-use rights for the first time. Re-use rights spell out the conditions under which people who find your work in cIRcle are allowed to re-use that work. A good way to specify re-use rights is via a Creative Commons license, and the new cIRcle License specifies that, by default, re-use rights for works deposited in cIRcle will correspond to the most restrictive of the Creative Commons licenses, which stipulates that:
- Others will be able to download your work and share it with others, as long as they credit you.
- They cannot change your work in any way nor may they use it for commercial purposes.
- This Creative Commons license is known as the Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs, or CC BY-NC-ND license. The text of the license is available here: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/2.5/ca/
- As noted, the above Creative Commons license will apply by default, although you will have the option of assigning a different Creative Commons license.
- For additional information on Creative Commons licenses, see: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/
Questions about the License? Please contact the cIRcle office.
The previous version of the Non-Exclusive Distribution License (‘the License') (which includes minor amendments to Version 1.0) went into effect on April 14, 2011. The text of the License is available in the cIRcle database:
The original cIRcle License went into effect on June 16, 2008, as Version 1.0. Details including the text of this License are available in the cIRcle database:
The text of the above Version 1.0 license was also previously available at the following URL:
Copyright, Author Rights, and Re-use Rights
This section is intended to answer the most common questions relating to copyright as it applies specifically to cIRcle. For the latest information on copyright as it applies to teaching and research at UBC, please see UBC's Copyright Page.
To learn more about how you can publish in a traditional journal while also making a copy of your article available for download in cIRcle without most copyright and financial restrictions please refer to UBC's Authors' guide to managing copyright: Author Rights.
- Do I sign over my copyright when I deposit my works in cIRcle?
- What version of an article can I deposit in cIRcle?
- Can I deposit an article at the time of submission to the publisher?
- Will I be violating my copyright agreements with my publishers if I contribute published material to cIRcle?
- What are permissions, and when do I need to get them?
- What is a cIRcle Non-Exclusive Distribution License?
- Who owns copyright?
Re-use of Materials in cIRcle
- Can I upload a copy of cIRcle materials to my own database?
- Can I print out a copy of the complete file and pass it on to a patron?
- Does cIRcle maintain a database of contact information for the copyright owners of uploaded materials?
Did we miss something? If you have a question about copyright and cIRcle that isn’t listed here, please let us know.