cIRcle User Guides
These guides describe procedures for using the DSpace interface to upload content, manage collections and access view and download statistics in cIRcle. If you are new to cIRcle and would like information on getting your or your students' content accepted to cIRcle, please visit our Getting Started page or contact cIRcle staff.
These guides describe advanced DSpace functions available to cIRcle collections administrators. You will have access to the functions below only if cIRcle staff have authorized you as a Collection Administrator for a specific cIRcle collection.
To learn about using customized Atom Feeds to display cIRcle content on your site, please consult our step-by-step guides for tips and examples. These guides will be of most interest to web administrators, as well as anyone else who manages an academic unit's webpage.
View and Download Statistics
These guides describe how to access usage statistics in cIRcle. Please note that there are two levels of statistics reporting in cIRcle: Public View Statistics, which are publicly accessible displays of view and download activity for the past six months for individual items or a snapshot of activity across the entire repository via Most Popular Items and Statistics by Country, and Administrator Statistics which give authorized users access to long-term statistics and detailed analysis reports using customizeable date ranges and data outputs. Please contact cIRcle Staff if you have any questions.
Public View Statistics
- Statistics by Item or Collection: If all you're looking for are the public view statlets which provide view and download statistics for the past six months, check out this quick guide. If these quick stats don't give you what you need, come back to the Reporting Suite module tutorials for more in-depth data.
- Most Popular Items and Statistics by Country: These reports provide you with a way to discover the breadth and popularity of research material in cIRcle through our public view and download features for Most Popular Items and Statistics by Country. Explore content across the entire repository or limit to a specific collection in your area of interest. Click on any link to view and download an item.
- Introduction to Usage Analysis for cIRcle: If you want to understand what the usage analysis suite is and does, this is guide will introduce you to the basics of the DSpace hierarchy and the key features (and foibles) of our Reporting Suite module.
- Create a Usage Report for Items in cIRcle: If you have 5 minutes and just want to see statistics for a particular item, this guide is for you.
- How to Find and Use Statistics in cIRcle: This 15 minute video is well worth the time if you want to learn not only how to create a statistics report from the cIRcle Repository Suite but also how to pull that data into an Excel spreadsheet to create a nifty chart. This tutorial is great if you are making a presentation or report and want to show how items in a particular collection are being used.
- How to create a Gapminder-style chart for statistics in cIRcle This 15 minute tutorial takes you beyond the pretty, though static, charts in Excel to a data visualization marvel similar to Gapminder using Google Bubble Charts. These visualizations take a little more time and effort but once you learn the basics you can apply them to many other types of data. The possibilities are endless!
Take a look at this cIRcle BC Mine Gapminder-style Screencast which shows the view and download activity for two collections: one that is large and very popular and one that is small and new but growing steadily more popular. And if you haven't seen it yet, check out this fascinating and inspiring short video from Hans Rosling, the man who created Gapminder.